What is Birth Support?
Ayurveda is an Indian health system that focuses on the bodily energies being in balance: mind, body, emotions, and spirit. It is the belief that the first 42 postpartum days impact the next 42 years of a woman’s life and her child. We tend not to notice the impact childbirth has on the entire system. If left unchecked, the resulting imbalance can create additional problems with: digestion, elimination, hormones, nervous system, pelvic and abdominal organ conditions.
- Prenatal visits take place at your home. We discuss your wishes and needs to achieve the birth you desire. The meetings cover an Ayurveda approach to Pregnancy and Birth, General Intake, Birth Preference Checklist, and Comfort Measures. You will receive a Binder of Information that includes resources.
Labor & Birth Support
- On call, 24 hours/day, 2 weeks before and after your expected due date.
- Labor support during active labor, strong surges, and birth.
- Provide reassurance, perspective, assist comfort measures including: massage, relaxation, positioning, etc.
- Remain with you 1-2 hours postpartum to maintain mother-focused support during the birth of the placenta.
- Postpartum visits focus primarily on the 42 days offering practices and tools for mother, baby, family, friends and community. Visits include infant massage, herbal supplements, and food suggestions to help milk supply, lessen mood swings, and strengthen immunity.
Eleni was part of our birth team for our first child, who was born this past May. We dubbed her our “Ayurvedic Doula,” as she helped support our birth doula team and, most importantly, assisted my wife with massages, pressure points, and other comfort measures, as well as coaching her through the final hours of pushing. She also provided me with similar comfort measures, as my role in assisting with the birth was far more involved and exhausting than I had bargained for! With her assistance, our daughter was born naturally and is healthy, happy, and thriving. But her role didn’t end there, as Eleni also helped us deal with postpartum issues, including diet, relaxation, and healing techniques, all drawing on her deep knowledge of Ayurveda.
It was such a pleasure to share our natural childbirth experience with Eleni, and I would highly recommend her to anyone in search of prenatal, childbirth, or postpartum Ayurvedic consultation.
– Christopher R